ivflink.com Forums  

Go Back   ivflink.com Forums > Latest IVF News > Comment on the news
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Comment on the news Here's a place to talk about any infertility items that land in the media (i.e. related to IVF, DHEA, Designer babies and other fertility subjects) because who better to shed light on IVF and infertility than those with direct IVF and infertility-related experiences.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2009, 09:06 AM
mitch

Default octuplets schmaktuplets

So we went back to the clinic last week to follow up with the tests we had in February and to talk more about maybe having another IVF treatment. However we learned that the clinic is considering changing some its requirements as fertility centers are suddenly being scrutinized because of this octuplets story.

The press is busy covering the new babies and their weird mom, and meanwhile families like ours are having to explain and document and demonstrate that they aren't like her, thanks to the backlash from this sorry situation.

Guess that's just the way it goes. I thought the procedures we followed for the first IVF were excellent yet private and practical. I only hope we can continue to carry out our hopes of having a family because of this.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:29 PM

I completely agree! Now they have a name for this woman, the octomom. She's going to end up famous and financially comfortable and was this the plan all along????

Meanwhile, those who really would give their eye teeth for ONE baby are left to deal with the legal and moral fallout.

There is something very predictable in the way our mass media culture contributes to these kind of situations that is downright WRONG.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:18 AM

The really sad part of this story is what will happen to the babies. Growing up in a family of 14 and maybe with limited resources. Maybe she can get some funding because of her notoriety, but will it get down to the kids?
Old 04-24-2009, 08:49 AM

Default Go

I wonder about the psychologicval result of children that are part of such a group. Does it affect ones sense of self-identity? Do children from these situations have more mental health issues?
________
Vaporizer Wiki

Last edited by canby : 09-18-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:20 AM

I wish the media would do a few "offsetting" stories on the good that infertility does, rather than continue to focus on the octuplets thing. I used to be a fan of the media, but now I am beginning to see they are simply a catalyst for hysteria and gossip.